First Eucharist is a wonderful and important event in every child’s life and a meaningful event for their families. Here are some suggestions for making your child’s preparation for First Eucharist a family endeavor.
Involve as many family members as possible in the lessons and activities in the at-home preparation book “Called to His Supper”. “Called to His Supper” books are due back to their catechist the week of March 15.
- Plan special prayer times for the child when members of the family can be present (before or after meals, Sundays, etc.)
- Light the child’s Baptismal Candle (or plain white candle) when the family gathers to pray for the child.
- Show the child pictures of his/her Baptism and tell stories about the Baptism day. Share stories, pictures, and articles of other family members’ baptisms.
- Family members can tell the child about their own First Eucharist and what it means in their life now. Include grandparents, godparents, etc.
- Arrive at Mass early and volunteer to bring up the gifts as a family.
- Remain after Mass one day and pray as a family before the Blessed Sacrament.
- Make a special calendar to count down the days until First Eucharist.
- Contact or visit the Parish Library at the Religious Education Office for books or videos that can enrich your child’s faith. We would be happy to help you.