The summer program is open to current children who are enrolled in St. Michael Religious Education as well as any new parishioners who have moved to Cranford. Summer religious education is offered to grades 4, 5, and 6. It provides children the opportunity to participate in religious education during the summer instead of the typical school year.
The summer program policies include but are not limited to the following:
- Classes are held for eight days each session from 9 AM to 12 Noon (Grades 5 and 6) and 9:30 AM to 12 Noon (Grade 4)
- Each day of the summer program is equivalent to three weeks of class during the school year.
- The summer program replaces the school year format of September through April.
- Children are expected to attend every day for the two week period and complete all homework (assigned daily) in order to successfully receive credit for the grade level.
- The Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist are received.
- An absence of more than one day would require attendance at the September through April program.
- A home assignment will be given and due the first week of Advent.
- Class size is limited to 36 children per session.
- Once 36 children have been enrolled in a session, registration for that session will be closed.
Volunteers are always needed for the summer program since the model is different from the typical classroom setting. Volunteers can be adults whose children are registered for the summer program or Junior High school youth needing service hours.
In-person registration for the summer program begins in February. A letter and registration form is sent to all eligible families highlighting the program, identifying the in-person registration date and fee schedule.